Sunday, June 28, 2009

Get Well

It's a new month for Viva La Verve and the {twist} for the first week of July is DISTRESSING! I've never distressed before - not with ink or roughed up edges - so my first thought was Uh-Oh! At first I tried to use a nail file but that didn't work so I used my scissors. Who knew it would be so much fun? I think I have a new addiction!

I made this card for my father-in-law (it will be written in my son's voice hence Grandpa) since he's been in the hospital for the past few days. I really could've used the new Verve release Feel Better Soon but I obviously don't have it yet so I made do with what I had. I put three stamps together to make this card. I haven't used this Tweety stamp in more than a decade! First I coloured him in with Copics, then use my Spica pen on the pom-pom of his nightcap and the steam rising from his mug. On his mug, I used SU Crystal Effects for the very first time. I ordered this after seeing Karen Motz use it on this card. She was kind enough to send me an email telling me all about it so I ordered it and I love it!

Blogger twisted my photo again.
This photo is supposed to be rotated 90 degrees to the left.
Is anyone else having this problem?

Since I've been on a sewing frenzy since Friday, I decided to stitch all my papers before distressing. I loosened the thread tension on my sewing machine to add to that distressed look. I'll be the first to admit I suck at tying bows and it took me forever to get the bow to look like this! Since the ribbon is lime green on the reverse side I couldn't get the entire bow to look the same, even with the twisting technique so many of the tutorials suggest. I can't even tell you how many attempts I made. Yup, I suck!

My husband made two jokes about this card. The first was that I should've given the papers to our son to distress since he loves chewing on paper and cardboard. The second was that his dad probably let himself get sick so he could get another one of my cards. My father-in-law loved the ones he got for his birthday and Father's Day. Three cards for any one family member or friend in one month? That has to be a record. LOL

I had to hold the card up right at the window
so the light would show the distressing.

Sources: DCWV (green), SBD (kraft) & Halcraft (white) cardstock; Basic Grey Lime Rickey Howdy Doody paper; Rubber Stampede Bed Time Tweety; HOTP Tiny Words & Images (Get Well); Verve World's Best (Grandpa); Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Copics; Atyou Spica pen; SU Crystal Effects; Gutermann thread; dimension squares; Urban Scrapyard ribbon

4 comments:

Karen Motz said...

This is sooooo "tweet"!!! Love all your distressing and the stitching on the layers. Glad to hear you're having fun with crystal effects...it looks AWESOME on the mug!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh what a darling card.

Sue from Oregon said...

Great card...I so love that tweety bird stamp!

Anonymous said...

Emily, this one is darn cute!