Friday, November 11, 2011

Jane's Doodles {Believe} + Honouring Our Veterans

Just popping in to share a Jane's Doodles holiday card using the newest Vintage Christmas release. I love this snowman! The way Jane drew him with his arms outstretched almost makes him look so appreciative of snow. I love how relaxed and peaceful he looks, too, which is why the 'Believe' sentiment is so perfect for it. I just got the Echo Park Holly Jolly Christmas papers and I thought the falling snowflakes and chevron 'hills' would be perfect backdrops for the snowman. I wanted him to have the layered look but not so much that this card couldn't be mailed easily so I used mini Glue Dots instead of foam tape.

***

Honouring Our Veterans

Since it was Remembrance Day here in Canada and Memorial Day in the U.S., I'd like to take a moment to reflect on this important day. On the news tonight, they remarked that this is was one of the rare Remembrance Days in which Canada is not involved in a war which is pretty incredible. I believe in peace. If my mom hadn't escaped from the Japanese in China during World War II, I would not be here today. Every year, I wear a poppy pin for two weeks from Halloween through Remembrance Day. I didn't have time to make a poppy card this year but you can read my post from last year if you like. That is still one of my favourite cards. Thank you to all who have served and serve today to protect our freedom.

***

Sources: Gina K Designs pure luxury white cardstock; Echo Park Holly Jolly Christmas paper pad; AC textured white cardstock; Jane's Doodles Vintage Christmas; Spellbinders Nestabilities Classic Ovals Large; Memories Black ink

14 comments:

Annette Allen said...

WOW...I love it Emily... This little snowman is just adorable and I love that you paper pieced him together... So cute..

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

He is a cutie! I like your LO too.

Vicky Hayes said...

I love that little snowman - the textured card stock works so brilliantly!

Brenda said...

You paired that snowman up with the most beautiful papers Emily! I'm also glad you are here today!

Creations by Shirl said...

Aww what a cute snowman Emily...
love his paper piece hat and scarf.. great set of bg papers too!
Have a great weekend~
hugs :)

Emily Keaton said...

Your snowman is delightful, Emily, and he looks great paired with those fabulous Echo Park papers. I also believe in peace and thank everyone who serves to protect it!

Shauna K said...

super cute card!! i love how the snowman is on his own little panel- makes him pop :D

Anita Rex said...

Hi Emily! Love your card you used those papers beautifully! :> Also love what you have to say about Remembrance day!

Tiffany Ervin said...

Love the white texture on the snowman and the paper pieced scarf and hat! Too sweet!

Lindsey said...

Your snow guy looks so cozy in his paper-pieced accessories! I also like how you cut along those zigzag hills. (You may have to tell me more about your mom's experience some time.)

Isha Gupta said...

Love love love this card Emily. Like the paper piecing.

Jocelyn Olson said...

First, I really like your post about the holiday. Second, I LOVE the snowman and your paper piecing. He is adorable! The papers are so cool...I just used that snowflake paper yesterday on a card. EP is so fun!

Jessi Fogan said...

{{{hugs}}}
Remembrance Day was quite special in our house this year, as both kids have learned enough about the World Wars to have a keener appreciation of the sacrifices made. I'm pretty proud.
(and, I love the card - super sweet snowman, and I love the textured paper for his body!)

Angela said...

Ack - chevron hills! Love your happy little snowman with his happy hat and scarf, too.

I'm happy you (and your mom) are here too -- that must be one amazing story.