Friday, July 17, 2009

MFT + Sweets = My Favourite Sweets

I thought I would venture out and try something new. I ended up at the MFT forum and decided to participate in this week's MFT Sketch Challenge. The layout just screamed out at me and I had to have a crack at it. I love sketches with little squares (check out this card) because there are so many possibilities. I decided to finally ink up a couple of stamp sets I got from the Michael's $1 bin. I wanted to use this cute American Crafts ribbon so I coloured in the images and chose the cardstock with those colours in mind. Lately, I've been addicted to using kraft cardstock as a base because I can always count on it to match and this was no exception.

I stamped out a few of each dessert on a big sheet of smooth white cardstock and coloured them all in with Copics. I did this because I had the intention of creating different variations of this card to use either as a gift set or individual cards. I used my Spica Glitter pen to shimmer up the icing on the cakes and donuts. Then I used crystal effects on the plates of the cake and all over the lollipops. I also used it to glue the tiny beads as sprinkles on the donuts.

When I was waiting for the crystal effects to dry, I couldn't decide if I wanted to stitch up the navy blue squares and the peacock blue background. I hemmed and hawed and decided against it but looking at the card now it seems like something is missing. Oh, and look, I finally managed to tie a half decent bow without showing the reverse side of the ribbon! LOL This isn't my most precise or detailed card but I'm pleased with it and am now going to have some ice cream. :Þ

Sources: SBD kraft cardstock, DCWV sweet stack & unknown cardstock; Studio G clear stamps; Memento Tuxedo Black & Memories Black inks; Copics; Atyou Spica Glitter pen; random beads; Fiskars Threading Water border punch; McGill 1-1/4" square punch; American Crafts ribbon, SU crystal effects; dimension squares

5 comments:

kafranci said...

That is adorable!! Love the colors and the little sprinkles on the doughnut!!

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh fun, love what you did with the sketch!!!

Barbara said...

Too cute!!! Love the beads as sprinkles!!!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love those sweet stamps!! And I love how you embellished them. The beads are just the right touch. So cute!!

Melody said...

Very cute! Love the sprinkles and the cute embellishments.