Friday, September 17, 2010

You Make My Life Wonderful

I know what you're thinking and I can even hear you gasping. This isn't CAS and she used ribbon! :Þ Yes, this is the most elaborate card I've made in months but I couldn't help it. I was so inspired by Wplus9's new Color Cue {8} Challenge! It feels like ages since I've done a colour challenge and my jaw just about hit the floor when I saw the gorgeous combination Dawn selected. I knew I had to give Magical Moments a proper welcome since I hadn't made anything with it since this card.

I had the most fun figuring out which colours to use when I layered the peacock. Crazy me actually cut out that peacock in all three combinations before deciding. I knew I wanted to use some kiwi kiss ribbon so having the bird's body in that same colour highlights it nicely. Then I made a mask for the background. First, I stamped the yellow background using the frame mask. I had planned on leaving it just like that but the card didn't look finished with a plain white border so I used the square insert as a mask to create the red frame. Maybe it's a bit too intricate or busy but I'm pretty sure my husband will like it. My son actually called it a rainbow when he saw it! He sure knows how to flatter his momma. ;)

Sources: GinaK 120lb pure luxury White cardstock; Wplus9 Magical Moments; SU Cherry Cobbler, Kiwi Kiss & Summer Sun inks; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; SU Kiwi Kiss 5/8" striped grosgrain ribbon; Scor-Tape; Glue Dots pop up relief

17 comments:

Karen B. said...

Fun fun fun card!

Angela said...

Dude! This is so super-cool! I love the pattern madness of it all, the masking, the little touches of kiwi...awesome challenge card :)

Alice said...

the background is amazing! really fun card, Emily!

Cristina said...

So striking. Love how bold this is.

Saskia said...

Beautiful card! So unique and so elegant!!

Sweet greetings, Saskia :)

Dawn said...

This is fantastic! Though busy...it is perfectly busy. The grid created in the background provides the touch of order needed to balance the bold colors and patterns. Simply amazing, it's a card that you just want to stare at!

Meg said...

Wow! I had to check to make sure I was on the right blog when I saw this card. ;) I love all the patterns and the colors you chose for each section. You cut out all 3 of those peacocks? You are quite the patient woman! But the end result is well worth it--stunning!

Lindsey said...

Yowzer! I love this card. It's not even that far off CAS if you overlook the intricate patterns... or maybe it would feel more CAS to you if you hadn't cut out all three peacocks! (Please tell me you saved the other two for futire cards? lol) I see what you mean about those colours, they just beg to be used to create something as wonderful as you've made!

Rose said...

Wow! Love the bold take on the color challenge! Stunning.

Smita said...

This is soooo pretty!! I kind of love WPlus9's Asia-inspired sets - Mehandi Medallion and Magical Moments.... Feels good to be Indian/Asian ;-)

Love the colors and the ribbon!! :-)

Smita said...

Err... Emily could I have your email id please??
smita(dot)lakhotia(@)gmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Stunning my friend, just stunning! I love your foray into slightly less CASness - you're just as wonderful at that as at the CAS style! Beautiful colours too, no wonder they inspired you.

Elise said...

YOU are a momma worth flattering! Let me just say this! THIS is jaw-dropping! Wow, girl! You sure let that peacock out to PLAY with all of the glory of this stunning set and the amazing bird of inspiration. I look SO forward to your interpretation of the Color Cue palette, each round - I'm SO honored and delighted by your regular participation - this is AMAZING! YOU are SUCH a wonderful talent, here among the world of Blogland! Yee Haw! THANKS, again, for sharing your talent with the Color Cue!

kasia c. said...

Absolutely beautiful card! I love all the coloures layering. It was a great touch to have the body match the ribbon. It ties it together quite nicely. :)

G Peplow said...

Gorgeous Emily, love it, beautiful colours. The stamps are great, so many possibilities here:0) xx

Anonymous said...

Holly Molly! This left me without words! So amazing!

Jinny Newlin said...

It does look like a rainbow! What a sweet boy! Beautiful job with the Color Cue!