Friday, January 7, 2011

Unity FWF Blog Hop {Jan 7th}

Happy Friday! I'm so happy to see you here for the first Friends With Flair blog hop of 2011! Be sure to start at the Unity Blog for a complete list of participants. You've all been drooling over this month's kit, right? ;) For today's card, I paired the texty 'Good Friend' star with the 'Good Friends' sentiment from To The Moon And Back.

The background for this card was a happy accident. I use old magazines pages, preferably ones that aren't glossy, on my Scor-Pal and this background created itself when I inked up the sentiment strips with my inkpads. I thought it looked ultra pretty so I repeated the technique on the kraft card base. It came out looking almost like oil pastels and I love it! It's super textured, too. I was also tickled to find out that the star is a bit larger than my punch so I punched it out and hung it up with Lilac twine.

Do you love the January Kit of the Month? If you're already a member, you'll be getting Cosmo Cricket treats with your kit this month. If you'd like to sign up for the Kit Club, click HERE for all the details. Also, if Santa didn't bring all that you wished for, Unity is still offering free shipping to all U.S. and Canadian addresses!

Your next stop is Anne!

Sources: GinaK pure luxury Kraft & 120lb pure luxury White cardstock; Unity January 2011 Kit of the Month - To The Moon And Back; SU Pink Pirouette, Rose Red, Summer Sun, Tangerine Tango, Wild Wasabi, Garden Green, Bashful Blue, Tempting Turquoise, Lavender Lace & Elegant Eggplant inks; Stampin' Dimensionals; SU Large Star punch; The Twinery baker's twine in Lilac; SU paper piercer; embroidery needle

39 comments:

Lindsey said...

Oh, Em, this is so pretty! Your background is fabulous.

Gina Lindsay said...

Great card, that background looks just amazing!

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

How fun is that I LOVE it!!!!

G Peplow said...

OOh Emily, it's almost grungy LOL, love it so much. The contrast of the bright star with the great sentiment is genius and the sentiment strips are perfect, clever:0) xxx

Angela said...

That background is so awesome. So, so awesome.
Love the inky sentiment and nice clean star, too -- great study in contrasts :)

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Love how you did the background, Emily! This card is very artsy! :)

Ujjwal said...

Love the background Emily!! Its so cool!! January Kit is absolutely fabulous!!

Post a tutorial for the background if possible.

Marilyn Nimmo said...

Great card--wonderful background. Thanks for you sweet comments this week on my blog. They were very encouraging.

farmhouse-story said...

such a clever background, emily! i'm loving the new stamps,too:)

Karin said...

Such a great card Emily...Can I have your brain when you are done with it?? lol

Smita said...

I love the background! You should do a tutorial ;-)

Hugs,
Smita

Erika said...

Emily, LOVE the background. Such a fun idea. The card if fabulous! As always :)

Shauna K said...

oh my goodness, this is so fun!! how cute is the lil star "hanging" from the top {I so need to get me some of their twine}, and I'm totally loving the rainbowed sentiment- super fun idea!!

shuggy said...

love this card!!

Angie Blom said...

LOVE... just love it all.. so artsy and wonderful. love the way you layered the stamps with different colours to get your background effect.. LOVE!!

Erin said...

Oh Emily! You don't know me but I am ALWAYS inspired by your work!!! Anytime I need something to get me excited about cards, I go to your page...LOVE your work!

Scrapcollectr said...

One word....genius....*smile*

Rachel B said...

I love the direct to paper inking! looks great w/the sentiment cut and stripped like that! Fabulous!

Jacqueline said...

What a creative genius you are!! What a perfect idea, love how it turned out! beautiful!

StinkerbellSteph said...

What a perfect piece of art! So clever and ingenious!

Janna Werner said...

lol love your happy accident!!! uber creative, your getting more and more an artist, Emily. Love so much seeing you progressing and creating ur typical Emily things!TFS Janna

Jennifer said...

SO CREATIVE!!! LOVE your card and awesome background!!! (=

Jen E. said...

what an awesome card! and, omg! your background is sa-weet!!!!

Gwen said...

Ok, Emily, you DO have to do a tutorial on this one. I love it, so cool! I don't understand how it all came together though, so would love to see it!

sharon g said...

Very creative. I like it!

Karen B. said...

Great card, and so innovative too!

Anne Tussing said...

Beautiful card! I love the rainbow of colors!!

Alice said...

wow, girl. that background is amazing! gorgeous colors and the sentiment is so sweet! love this beauty!

Sunghee said...

oh my gosh~~~~ this is fabulous! really love the bg and want to see the step by step photos =) I clearly can't follow written direction. hehe.

Lori said...

Pretty! Love the background.

Jen W. said...

Love the different colours on each strip of the sentiment and, as always, I'm a sucker for anything with a star on it!
Also wanted to let you know I'm passing on a Stylish Blogger award to you. I see you've had quite a few blogger awards already so hope you don't mind one more. Love your sight and hope you're hanging in there after your recent tough times. Big hugs!

Anonymous said...

What a crazy fab background! You are awesome!

lisa a.

Meg said...

Wow, that background is so cool! I love multi-colored word strips too. You are just too clever.

~amy~ said...

Lovin' this...looks so very artsy:)

Monika Reeck said...

love your star and all the color on your card Emily...you really creative girl...hugs

Vicky Hayes said...

The loveliest things happen by accident! Love this background and that fabulous scrapbooking-style sentiment too.

Julie said...

Love what you've done with these stamps! That twine is yummy!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Emily,

Love this card! Your background reminds me of a type of drawing we used to do here as children. With wax-crayons, you would color a paper in bright colors and then cover it completely with black wax-crayon and then with a needle take away the black in some places, so that the color shines through! On the photo your background looks a bit like that! Love it! And I like a lot how you divided that sentiment stamp into colored pieces! Great idea!
Ha ha, how nice you feel the same as I do about flower stamps! I have quite a lot now, especially Hero Arts, love their flowers! All the best - wishing you a lovely Sunday!

Hugs, Wendy

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Fabulous!!! Love that sentiment... and what a fun use of colors.