Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Twinery: February Project with a Video Tutorial!

Frames on cards are all the rage right now, aren't they? Well, so is twine. Why not combine the two? In this post, I will show you how to create easy twine frames for your cards without using adhesive! All you have to do is twist and stitch. Are you ready? First, watch this video and then I'll show you two variations of the card I made in the video.

For my first card, shown at the very top of this post, both the sentiment and the image are in the centre so I simply tied the loose ends of the twine into a bow in the centre after stitching. I thought the sentiment looked fabulous on its own so I took a photo of it to show you what the card looked like before I attached the heart with foam dimensionals.

Here's the card again after I attached the heart. I love both versions equally.

This second card is another variation on the twine frame where the sentiment sits in the opening. This is typical of most frames you see on cards. Here, I ended the twine frames with little bows. By twisting two different colours of twine to create the frame, you will always end up with interesting little bows!

So what do you think? Just imagine all the colour possibilities! I haven't tried more than two colours yet but I think I will. I have other variations in my head and I'll be sharing those with you at a later date. Let me know if you decide to give this a try!

Sources for Friendship card: Gina K Designs 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Unity February 2011 Kit of the Month - The Best is Yet To Be; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Copics; The Twinery baker's twine in Pink Sorbet and Blossom; Gutermann thread; sewing machine

Sources for I've Loved You card: Gina K Designs 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Unity February 2011 Kit of the Month - The Best is Yet To Be; SU Pink Pirouette & Rose Red inks; The Twinery baker's twine in Pink Sorbet and Blossom; Gutermann thread; sewing machine

33 comments:

Alice said...

wonderful technique and such beautiful cards, Emily! love them both! have a lovely weekend! =)

Yvonne Russell said...

Love these frames - beautiful and effective. Also, a great idea wth the text on 2 layers on the heart. I haven't seen that before. Yet another wonderful creation.

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Oh these are great, love how you did the heart.

Brenda said...

Hi Emily! I love that you are so adventurous when it comes to cardmaking! And you come up with such great ideas, so thank youf or the continuous inspiration! I love what you did with the twine frames, awesome work. I need to break in my Feb KOM too, there are so many nice designs there! (PS: I would be interested to know how you store your KOM?)

Sunghee said...

You are so brilliant! Love the stamp you used on your video. I don't think my sewing machine can handle the thickness so I'm gonna try using glue instead. Thanks for the great tutorial!!! You are a pro!

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

What a brilliant idea to framed with twine, great tutorial too, got a lot to learn from you Emily! Thanks for sharing your beautiful work and talent!
Have a great weekend!

Jennifer said...

LOVE how you've used the twine!! Your cards are so CUTE!!! (= Hope your enjoying your weekened!! (=

farmhouse-story said...

love your clever twine technique, emily! your cards are adorable--i esp. like what you've done with the heart!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Emily,

These cards are lovely, your twine frames are pretty! Love especially the way the sentiment runs over the raised heart image, that looks so pretty!

Hugs, Wendy

Vicky Hayes said...

The twine frames are a great idea Emily but my favourite feature is where you popped the sentiment-stamped heart up over the sentiment stamped on the card base.

Karen B. said...

What a fun idea!

Anonymous said...

Fabby idea!!! Love how you stitched on the twine.

lisa a.

Rachel B said...

Wow Emily! I love the twine frame! It is crazy how different the two cards with the same sentiment look when you added the heart! The additional card with the twine ending at the sentiment is just as neat! Gonna have to keep this in mind for future cards!

Tee said...

Love all of them..love the sentiments and love the twine..just sweet gorgeousness!!

Monique said...

This is great Emily. Thanks for the tutorial I will definitely be trying this... Love both of your cards :)

Scrapcollectr said...

So cute Emily! But why do I taste peppermint when I look at your adorable cards? *smile*

Donna Baker said...

The twine frame is so fun! I think I need to try that!tfs

BabyBokChoy said...

I will have to come back and watch the video!!! looks very promising!! cute cute cute card!!

Erin said...

I love both designs as well! Once again...I'm in awe! ;)

Monika Reeck said...

wooow Emily soo creative and so lovely...hey I didnt get any news from Amber inks it your one finish or not yet dear...miss you...hugs (I type in my class hihi)

Gina Lindsay said...

What fantastic cards, I love the frame you made with the twine, so cute!

Barbara said...

These are both such beautiful cards Emily!

Cheryl said...

Great projects! I love this idea for adding twine to projects.

Karin said...

Your twine projects are amazing! Love the frame idea and thanks for showing us how!

Anonymous said...

Great cards. Thanks for sharing the technique!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

Super cute, Em! I had a card picked up by PC a couple of months ago using this technique with some fabby twine from The Twinery! I love how you framed your sentiment, and yay for being able to do it with the sewing machine. I am sooooooo bad at stitching on paper with a machine! LOL!

Lindsey said...

What a totally cool technique! I really like both these cards. The little bows on the second one are so cute!

Lindsey said...

What a totally cool technique! I really like both these cards. The little bows on the second one are so cute!

Jen W. said...

Love these twisty frames - especially the heart one. :)

I wanted to send you an email but I don't see your address on your page. If you don't mind would you send me your email address? LilJen1@northrock.bm

G Peplow said...

Hi Emily, Oh! so lovely to hear you:0)You sound just how I imagine you would:0), lovely!
Thanks so much for your tutorial, you make it look 'sew' easy! but in that sentence lies the problem, sewing, I'm useless!! but I love your cards, so beautiful! :0) xxx

Beth aka BR-T said...

What a fantastic technique Emily!!!

Pam said...

And yet ANOTHER great tutorial. So much better than reality TV.

Jen Carter said...

That is so cool Emily!! I love your idea and technique!! Cute cards too!! Thanks so much for sharing!