Monday, August 1, 2011

Happy to Know You

You may have already seen my card on The Twinery Blog yesterday when the new colours were revealed but today you get to see this card up close as well as a description of how I made it and for whom. This weekend, Jen Wills, flew up to Toronto to attend a wedding and I got to meet her and her husband, Luis! They are one super sweet couple and I enjoyed every moment of our afternoon together. We chatted non-stop while she checked out my stamps and Luis listened to us blab away. It was so cute to watch them play trains with my son and hold up strips of paper (dangerously) for him to cut up. LOL When my husband got home from work, we all went out for dinner and afterwards they got to watch my son ride his bike in the park. It was so much fun and I really, really wish Jen l lived here! Okay, maybe I wish I lived in Bermuda. ;) Friday, the day I met Jen, was also her birthday so I made this card for her.

I didn't mention my crocheting skills when I made THIS card but I will give you a little background right now. I don't know how to knit or crochet but I've always wanted to learn. In fact, I tried to learn many times in my life but could never get the hang of it and I'm not sure I ever will! Years ago, I bought The Complete Idiot's Guide to Knitting and Crocheting and I only cracked it open when I made that Little Miss Mia card. I borrowed some crochet hooks from my mom and was able to make a foundation chain. Basically, it's the only thing I can crochet right now but I'd love to be able to shape my work. ;) I used the foundation chain here to make the stem for the flower in Stone.

The stigma of the flower is a giant knot using four strands of Buttercream. The flower petals using two strands of Denim were made by THIS method of creating knots but with only one half of the loops cut off. The leaves using three strands of Buttercream were made by knotting one end and, before tightening the knot at the other end, pulling out the outer two strands to give them slack and thus creating curved edges for the leaves. When the leaves are glued down on the card base, the centre strand is taut and the shape of the leaves are not compromised. To finish the card, I squeezed some Diamond Stickles in between the stigma and the knots of the flower petals to create sparkly anthers for a subtle bit of bling. You can see it in the close up photo.

How much do you love the new colours? Which one is your favourite? Do you need them right away? Starting today, The Twinery is generously offering full spools of the three new colours at only $12 each for a limited time! I hope you will celebrate this release with us and grab these new colours while they're hot. Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is off to a good start!

Happy Civic Holiday to all my Canadian friends and family! As promised, I will be back a bit later to announce a giveaway that you don't want to miss!

Sources: Gina K Designs 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Bazzill Basics textured yellow cardstock; SU Basic Gray cardstock; Unity May 2011 Kit of the Month - Think Happy Thoughts; SU Brilliant Blue ink; The Twinery baker's twine in Denim, Buttercream & Stone; My Favorite Things Fresh Cut Grass die; QuicKutz Epic Six; Stampin' Dimensionals; Ranger Diamond Stickles

31 comments:

Jessi Fogan said...

I love this, Emily :) The knotted petals & leaves, the fun grass, that awesome sentiment...too cool!

I'm far from a crochet expert, but having my mother-in-law teach me while she was staying with us was how I learned. It really helps to have a teacher nearby. Our library has a "twisted stitchers" night, and since you're in the 'big city' I bet there's a yarn shop or two, and they might have groups or lessons? With all that free time you've got coming up, I mean ;) lol Or you could come stay with me & I'll teach ya!

Meg said...

Holy cow, is there anything you CAN'T do, Em? Love all the fun crochet and knots you used. I'm completely jealous of your fun stamping friend time, too!

Lisa said...

*gasp* :O This is incredible! So creative with the twine- LOVE how you've done all the knotting and used the crochet strip. I can't ever seem to get the hang of crochet either,and have tried several times! I have been waiting for Twinery to come out with a blue, and I am really loving the grey as well!
How fun to get to meet your on line friends :)

Erin said...

I'm with Meg, is there anything you can't do?! LOL this is just pure genius! I'm LOVIN' the new colors but especially the grey...

Stephanie said...

I love this card Emily, so creative! The crochet stem is perfect & I love the knotted petals & center!

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ujjwal said...

This card has been on my mind ever since I saw it on Twinery Blog!! Its simple and so awesome!

G Peplow said...

Fabulous card Emily, love the knotting:0) and the colours,it looks just so upbeat and happy! Glad you had a great time, hugs Gay xxx

walchowDesign said...

Who says you need to learn crochet when you can creat such a beautiful piece!

Jess said...

This card is like a work of art! I think you need to frame it and hang it on the wall! I am definitely going to bust out the twine later -- but I'm not sure mine will turn out quite like yours!

Jen Carter said...

Emily this is just so cute! I love how you put together each part of the flower! It is super fun and so creative!

Angela said...

You clever girl -- love the crocheted stem (that's the only crochet I can do, too!), the knotted petals, the bit of bling...and the sentiment, of course!
Sounds like a big fun time was had by all!

Tee said...

I love how wonderfully you use the twine..i finally got my hands on all 11 colors and then i miss out the new ones!!
will surely be looking up to your cards for inspiration!!
I love the card..the new colors..sigh!! are gorgeous!!

Brenda said...

Oh wow! Totally twiner yumminess! I love what you did with that new twine, your friend must be thrilled! You are very talented! I am loving the Denim and Buttercream color the most! Take care!

Amy Kolling said...

Oh. My. Stars. This is such an amazing card and oozing with creativity! I am so glad I stopped by today. And these new twine colors are on their way to me! Yippee!

Karen B. said...

Awesome that you got to meet Jen! Love your card, it is so clever!

Tenia Nelson said...

This is awesome!!!!!!

Jenny said...

So glad you enjoyed your time together last weekend and what a gorgeous card you made her. Love your crocheting skills and what a fab flower :)
Jenny x

Lindsey said...

Loved this card when I saw it on the Twinery blog yesterday, so I'm glad to get all the details today! Denim is definitely my favourite of these new three colours.

Andrea M said...

Hi Emily! I LOVE your work!!! This card is no exception! HOLY COW!!! This is STUNNING!!!! The flower made of twine is super creative!!!! Brilliant!!!

scrapsnsuch@gmail.com said...

Ooooo, yummy new colors!!! Loving all the knots and crocheting on this one. I was actually fooling around with twine and making a chain using my fingers this weekend. Thankfully, it undoes itself quite easily!

Jocelyn Olson said...

That is so cool that you (at least minimally) crochet! The card is totally fabulous, and I LOVE how you made it (and who you made if for :). The new twine colors are awesome...I just received the samplers of each, and the blue is my fave....weren't we just talking about that?

Beth aka BR-T said...

Emily this is a beautiful card I love how you twine!

Wendy ten Hove said...

Oh, perfect!!! This is why I'm happy to know you, Emily!! You always know to surprise me with new ideas, love, love, love this!! Fabulous new colors as well!!
Hugs, Wendy

farmhouse-story said...

what a work of art, emily! amazing what you can do with twine! good luck with the crocheting--i cannot do it:(

Colleen Dietrich said...

Emily, I am impressed not only that you taught yourself to crochet (my mom-mom did it, taught me when I was young, and then I forgot how), but that you managed to get that twine into a flower shape! I've struggled with getting twine to do what I want it to do. :)

Brenda Lapp said...

This is a great card. Thanks for the ideas.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Wow! Super cool and so clever, SO love your flower!

Pauline said...

*SIGH* I just love how you work with twine Emily! Love this flower so much!!

CharityHand said...

I just love this flower! What a neat way to use the twine. Fantastic. Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Elaine Sauer said...

this is great stuff