Saturday, July 11, 2009

Happy Baa..thday

For this week's Mojo Monday sketch, I thought I would do another one of my scene-within-a-scene cards. The problem with having too many new stamps is I never know which ones to use. This sketch really inspired me and I kept changing my mind about which stamps I wanted to use and how. I'm pretty sure I'll be using this sketch again. I knew I had to make a birthday card because I keep running out of them. My friends have been so supportive and keep buying up all my cards! :)

I decided to eliminate the use of ribbon on this card because, well, you all know that I can't tie bows and I have no problem saying it. LOL I decided to create scene with a whimsical outdoorsy feel. For the two horizontal strips in the background, I immediately knew I wanted to use the clouds from Verve's Up, Up & Away set and the Martha Stewart picket fence border punch, two of my favourite products.

I wanted to use the cute mushroom dp that I previously used in this card which interestingly also uses Pink Cat Studio images and similar colours. I guess that dp just inspires me to use Melissa's stamps. I picked one of the lambs from the Farm Animals set and got out my embossing pen and powder for the wool but for some reason it didn't work. I decided to stick with the weave patterned paper and go au naturel. I raised the lamb off the background with thin dimension strips, double-stamped the lamb's head and flower, and paper pieced the wool on its little head. I used thick dimension squares under the head and flower. I added Crystal Effects to the lamb's hooves, flower and icing on the cupcake in the centre of the sentiment. Then I reverse popped the sentiment by double punching the top piece and raised the ring of petals with thin dimension strips so it wouldn't compete with the lamb.

For the middle rectangle, I couldn't decide if I wanted to cut grass this way or with the tearing edge. I decided to go with the more subtle approach as I did here and here. Originally I was going to use a coloured background but it didn't look right to me. Leaving it plain didn't look right either so I settled on some simple stitching which represents a nice light breeze. I think it added just the right touch to finish off this card. I wonder who will be the lucky person to receive this on their birthday! ;)

Sources: SU chocolate chip, The Paper Company weave white, DCWV sweet stack, SBD kraft & Halcraft smooth white cardstock; Imaginisce twitterpated mushroom fancy & Provo Craft paper; Verve Up, Up & Away; Pink Cat Studio Farm Animals; Memories Artprint Brown ink; Copics; Martha Stewart picket fence edge border; SU crystal effects; SU tearing edge; McGill circle punch; SU scallop circle punch; Gutermann thread; dimension squares

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only did you rock the sketch but I love the card!

Katjuska said...

I love your card, it's so cute! those clouds are great!
Thanks for visiting my blog too :)

Monika/Buzsy said...

Super cute card! Love teh sheep, the paper. the circle greeting... TFS!

Cindy Haffner said...

Your sheep is super sweet, awesome job.

Kerri said...

Eek, I think this is adorable!!! I love your mojo card, way better than mine : ) I love the dimension of the sheep's head and the way you added the clouds and fence. Awesome!

Sue from Oregon said...

You do THE BEST Mojo Monday cards...this is so creative! Love how you added the fence and clouds as elements of the sketch!

Tracey Old said...

Love the sheep very cute. You rocked this sketch. Well done. Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog.

Helen F. said...

Ohhh what a great card! I love all of the elements you put into this one ~ the fence and clouds and grass are just perfect for your scene within a scene.

Anonymous said...

One of the cutest cards I've ever seen! The sheep is super cute!

Crafty Jenn said...

Wow! That's a load of detail! I love everthing. Awesome job on this sketch.

Thanks for yor comment.

Silli said...

Emely, your card is very pretty. I love the ewe...and the papers. Great work. Hugs and happy day. Silke

Michelle B. AKA JustPaintingAround said...

Love your interpretation of this sketch - especially the cloud part! Very creative! Also love the stitched "sky" behind the sheep.

Julee (Vervegirl) said...

This is just darling! Thanks for playing! :)

Maile Belles said...

This is too cute!!! I love the stiching behind the lamb and the clouds. Great detail!

Alysabeth said...

Your sheep ROCKS! I love the layers and texture:o) TFS