Friday, February 12, 2010

PTI Asian Fusion Origami Challenge

Wow, I just had a look at the sneak peeks of PTI's new Asian Fusion set and I couldn't resist playing along when Nichole Heady issued a challenge to make something with origami. I love origami and it's one of my favourite mediums - check out these cards I made recently with origami shirts! Since this weekend is Chinese New Year, Valentine's Day and the Family Day holiday all rolled into one, we are kicking off celebrations tomorrow night by having a traditional 10 course meal at my parents' house. It's customary for older family members to give younger, unmarried family members to receive a red envelope with money. This year, the only one receiving red envelopes will be my little boy! Since I can't give my parents an envelope with money, I decided to make them a card with an origami red envelope. On it are the typical wishes we say to each other on Chinese New Year - love, good health, longevity and good luck. My envelope even has a gold lining! It's all about red and gold.

I created the floral background by embossing the flower stamp from the set called Four Seasons by Local King Rubber Stamp - click here to see how I used the Christmas ornaments and leaves from that same set. I couldn't get the light to bounce off the flowers just right but it looks so sparkly in person! I mounted the background on a plain white piece of cardstock for an edge that would pop it against a background of Japanese rice paper with gold and silver specks and fibres. I used my Scor-Pal to create an envelope of just the right size, created a little gold liner just in case my parents want to have a peek - they probably won't even notice but I love little details so I did it just for me. Haha! Then I rounded off the corners and embossed the blessings in platinum. I love how simple and pretty this turned out!

Sources: SU Kraft & Real Red cardstock; SBD white cardstock; Essence du Papier Japanese rice paper; The Japanese Paper Place gold origami foil; Local King Rubber Stamp Four Seasons (flower); Hero Arts? Chinese Blessings; Rubber Stampede Red pigment ink; ColorBox Platinum pigment ink; PSX Red embossing tinsel; Ranger Ancient Gold embossing powder; Hobby Hot Boss; Fiskars Nostalgia Corner Edger

4 comments:

Kelly S. said...

AWESOME idea! Hope you have a great time with your family!

Marge said...

What a fabulous card; love your creative idea to use the red envelope!!! Thank you so much for your comment on my card & I hope your weekend celebrations are wonderful!
LOVE your blog name!!!

Melissa said...

I love the story behind your card Emily. That 10 course meal sound AWESOME!!! Are red envelopes used for other holidays/traditions?

Cindy Haffner said...

So so pretty.