Friday, June 4, 2010

Webcam Dust & Privacy Cover

We've had a webcam for almost two years and I've been meaning to make a nice little cover for it. Yes, I'm a procrastinator! We got the webcam because most of our immediate families are in the U.S. and we wanted them to be able to see and interact with our son on a regular basis. I don't like the idea of the camera staring at me and the possibility that someone might hack in and watch me. This is not to say that I'm that interesting. ;) We have the usual internet security measures but anything can happen since a nasty virus still got through a couple weeks ago. We ended up having to call the Geek Squad and, boy, would I have loved to spend that money on stamping supplies instead of paying them to fix the computer! :(

I wish I had many more colours of felt to work with but this is what I had left over from making cookies for Babo, bamboo for Panda and a Halloween tote for my son. I don't use felt often but lately I've been drooling over the felt at Papertrey Ink and making this shabby chic card as well as today's little webcam cover makes me want to use felt all the time! In any case, I've had quite a few friends make the same comment about feeling exposed to their webcam. Now I have a million ideas in my head about designs for this thing. It's going to be so much fun making several of these. I probably won't be able to stop! Well, we'll see. I'm a procrastinator, remember?

How funny is it that my son noticed the cover and my husband didn't? This was even after I told my husband that I made one! :Þ My son loves butterflies because we have a framed blue butterfly from my 2002 trip to Costa Rica and because one of his favourite books is The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Of course the little guy wanted to play with it. Sorry kiddo, a 21 month old can't play with buttons, beads and wire! I do have to agree with my husband that the piece of scrap paper was much more noticeable than this lovely little cover. LOL

Sources: CPE Inc. cardinal & orange felt; PTI Butterfly Die; QuicKutz Epic Six; Lewiscraft 24 gauge stainless steel wire; beads; jewellery-making tools; yellow embroidery floss; random button; Gutermann white thread; sewing machine

4 comments:

Angela said...

Hey Emily - cute webcam cover! Love the felt colors! (And yes, I'm simultaneously watching the CAS forum and your blog -- I'm a good multitasker that way!)

Stamp and Smile said...

How cool is this!!! LOVE the felt "Fever" going on... and the butterfly is a FAV of mine! TFS.... :)

Sunghee said...

heeheehee.
This is awesome! Lovely creation and great idea! urm.... i think I need to make something like this, too.

Sam karan said...

Thanks for sharing your knowledge through this blog. Learn more about webcam cover here.