Monday, July 12, 2010

The Opposite

Well, I promised you the opposite of the last card I posted so here it is. It's pretty much the same except the colours are the reverse... almost. :) However, I'm not sure I like this version. Looking at it, I think the outermost pink frame should be black, as should the sentiment itself. Either way, whoever receives this card better like pink! LOL

As you can see, I used the Linen (& Canvas) impression plate again but of course I used the linen side of it. Instead of the dots on the flowers, I used the text. I also substituted the text from last time for flourishes. Because this flower had so much ivory, even with the text, I inked up the edges with pink to make it pop even more against the linen background. I thought I positioned the flourish on the left perfectly but it was a little too high so the flower covered up most of it. Ugh. Ya, I would definitely do things differently next time.

Angela asked if I liked the way the PTI impression plates work in my Epic Six. I had to experiment a bit with them but it didn't take me long to realize that I needed to sandwich the plate and cardstock between one Spellbinders embossing pad and two or three pieces of cardstock to make the impression look decent. I hope that helps!

Tejal and Meg also asked how I get such a clean impression when I stamp over two layers. It's no secret! It was a fluke but I do press down fairly hard where the layers meet, thus risking "fat" letters near the overlap. Maybe the secret is that I didn't glue the frame down before stamping. When it was time to attach the frame to the background, I just lined it up perfectly. This closes up any space that may exist. Another method would be to stamp once on the background, then stamp again when your frame is in place, careful not to press too heavily on to the lower layer. I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for the questions, ladies! I really enjoyed answering them. They made me feel like my blog was real, inspiring and helpful to you. :D

Sources: SU Naturals Ivory & Kraft cardstock; PTI Top Ten; PTI Fillable Frames #2; PTI Fancy Flourishes; PTI Background Basics: Text Style II; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; SU Pink Passion ink; PTI Linen & Canvas impression plate; PTI Fillable Frames #2 die; PTI Beautiful Blooms II #2 die collection; PTI Raspberry Fizz felt; QuicKutz Epic Six; Forever in Time pink button; Darice hemp cord; Glue Dots pop up relief

5 comments:

Angela said...

Hey there, Emily - I like your "opposite" card -- the text-y flowers are very spiffy.
Thanks for the impression plate advice, too -- I think I'll play around with shims next time (and maybe invest in the Linen/Canvas, though this month's text version looks pretty awesome, too).
And your blog IS real and inspiring and helpful! Keep up the great work!

Tee said...

Thanks so much for that tip..I end up gluing my layer down and then stamping..so there is no way to do up the space in between..
loved the idea of stamping twice..

Thanks so much for you help..I really get inspired from your blog..so keep up the great work!!!

Lynn said...

Ohh...love how you put the flourishes on the edges versus the text background...love it!

Meg said...

Another great card! Thanks for the tips on stamping the layers and for the PTI Impressions Plate review. You *do* have a real blog!

G Peplow said...

Great card Emily, still loving the colours and your expertise when it comes to stamping :) xxx