Thursday, July 8, 2010

Pink Cat Studio ~ Jul 8th Digi Release!

When I first saw Strawberry Lily, it brought back such great childhood memories of Strawberry Shortcake! I even leaned into the monitor to take a sniff. LOL I didn't have any of the dolls but I did have a bunch of figurines. They had the best smells infused into them! I know it sounds funny but there aren't many scents that I can tolerate anymore. I have a strong aversion to all perfumes, colognes, scented soaps, lotions, etc. Anyway, seeing Strawberry Lily was very nostalgic and I could literally smell that yummy strawberry scent by memory!

Since Strawberry Lily was so colourful, I wanted to keep the background less pretty, so to speak, so I used kraft (not that it can't be pretty because it most certainly can be). Then I added a bunch of fun stuff on top! I created a really cool basketweave background at Easter time and never used it. It's still sitting around waiting for the right moment. I decided to create a looser version of that with some pretty dp called Fruit Salad. How appropriate, eh? :) Before adhering that, I used A Bit of Burlap as an anchor for Lily and the sentiment. Like yesterday's card, I used the Blurb Box for the sentiment where I added white faux stitching and stamped a sentiment from a clear stamp set I bought ages ago from the $1 bin at Michaels. The two lollipops in the top right hand corner are from Dress Up Lily and Dress up Sweet Pea.

Did I mention that I have the hardest time making black hair look realistic with my Copics? I think Lily's hair turned out fine this time because it was long and straight. I can't bear the thought of creating black hair because I always end up smudging the ink on her face. It happened again this time and it makes me so mad but I do have a funny little story to tell you. ;) While making this card, I somehow ended up with Memento Tuxedo Black ink all over my left palm, the Scor-Pal and the dining table. Miraculously, none of it ended up on the card (oh wait, yes, there's a little smidge on the sentiment) or my clothes. When I showed my husband he said, "You mean in all your years of crafting that has never happened?" and when my son saw my hand he said, "Uh-oh! Uh-oh! Uh-oh!" LOL

If you love Sweet Pea in a Flowerpot from the original rubber set and still don't have it, you can get it for free today only with any purchase from the Pink Cat Studio rubber or digi stores! As always, there is plenty of inspiration from the rest of the DT whose links are on my sidebar. Thanks for joining me for this week's release and I hope you're having a great day so far!

Sources: SU Kraft cardstock; GinaK 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; Basic Grey Nook & Pantry Fruit Salad dp; Pink Cat Studio Strawberry Lily; Pink Cat Studio Dress Up Lily; Pink Cat Studio Dress Up Sweet Pea; Ippity A Bit of Burlap; Unity Daddy's Little Helper Blurb Box; Studio G sentiment; Memento Tuxedo Black ink; Vivid Red ink; Uniball Signo Broad white gel pen; Glue Dots pop up relief

4 comments:

Angela said...

Super-cute card once again, Emily! I love the coloring job on her hair -- and I'm glad you like it, too :) I like the background a lot as well.
I still have some of my Strawberry Shortcake figurines, and they still smell exactly the same as they did in the 80s. I wonder if today's toys will last that long!!

Meg said...

Adorable! Her hair looks fabulous--maybe you can color mine so it looks as sleek and shiny! That loose basketweave is a pretty neat idea that I'm sure to be stealing.

I was all about some Strawberry Shortcake, too! I wonder how much Angela's toys are worth today!

G Peplow said...

Beautiful card, her hair looks perfect:)
I love your son's uh oh uh oh, the times I've heard that, it's magic, xxx

Anonymous said...

Oh what a gorgeous card, Emily! I love the woven strips, they're so effective. I love how you've coloured Strawberry Lily - her hair looks wonderful. I'm afraid I have no idea what Strawberry Shortcake figurines are - maybe they didn't make it to the UK (or else I'm too old, lol!). They sound amazing though! x