Saturday, December 4, 2010

Merry Bicycles

I made these for a client who has his own engineering firm designing bicycles for various internationally reknown bike manufacturers. These cards are travelling to places such as Germany, the United States and Taiwan so they needed to be masculine, professional and easily mailed. It was so hard for me not to add some glitter, rhinestones or twine! After making this set, I've decided to acquire a few more bike stamps so I don't have to continue using the same one over and over since I used the same image for this client's cards last year. I'm not sure why I only have one bike stamp seeing as I have so many friends who love bikes!

I used one of my favourite techniques, stamping a background, in four different colours. The gorgeous frame and sentiment are from Unity's November Kit of the Month - Picture Perfect. These cards were very quick and easy to make except for the fact that I had to hand cut all the frames because I don't have the Spellbinders Labels Five which is a perfect match for it! That is now on my wish list because I see myself using that polka dot frame for a lot of things, not just Christmas cards. My favourite of these four cards is the navy one, but I love the way the red one looks close up.

Sources: GinaK pure luxury Kraft & 120lb pure luxury White cardstock; The Old Island Stamp Co. 608-B bicycle; Unity November 2010 Kit of the Month - Picture Perfect; Vivid Red ink; Memento Rich Cocoa ink; SU Crumb Cake, Night of Navy & Wild Wasabi inks; Stampin' Dimensionals

15 comments:

Ujjwal said...

These look perfect Emily!! I took a look at the last year cards as well and you have taken a whole new approach with the stamp.

love them both!!

Lindsey said...

I can totally understand the wish for the labels die... I can't believe you cut those out by hand, yikes! I guess two cuties on a tandem doesn't really count as another bike stamp if the card is supposed to be masculine. :P This is a great set of cards!

Emily (stampingout on SCS) said...

These are too cute, Emily! :)

Angela said...

These are just awesome! I also can't believe your willingness to trim -- Santa better bring you some nesties!

I love that bike stamp, too! It makes a great background. Nice.

Yvonne Russell said...

I love everything about these... the stamping on craft, the sentiment and the label and of course, the design. Perfect.

Shauna K said...

LOVE the bike background!!! simple, clean, elegant, definitely masculine- love it!

Saskia said...

Hello Emily!

Wow! This cards are so unique!!! very beautiful!!

Greetings, Saskia :)

Wendy ten Hove said...

Hi Emily,

These are sooo lovely!! What a fun way to use that bicycle, very original, I love these cards!!

Hugs, Wendy

Lisa said...

Too cute! I saw a sneak peek video on the Hero Arts blog that showed a really cute bicycle set that's coming out soon. Let me see if I can find a link... Here you go: http://heroarts.com/blogs/club/2010/12/01/watch-it-wednesday-with-a-sneaky-video/ They show it around the 2:18 mark. Thought it might be what you're looking for!

Karen B. said...

Oh, this is a super cute idea, I hope I can try it myself! I have to mention this too, because I really love this set...Practicing Creativity Designs has a set called the Whole Cycle that features one really large bike plus a vintage style bike, a tricycle and wagon and wheelbarrow! You've got masculine, vintage and baby all covered!

Meg said...

Love 'em! Definitely going to have to try a stamped background one of these days!

(ps...your client doesn't also happen to like lamps, does he?)

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

What fun, and I already own several bicycle stamps and have the set Karen mentioned waiting for me in a pile in California. So... might just give it a try! Well done on cutting out the labels, they look perfect.

Vicky Hayes said...

This is absolutely my kind of card - stunning! Always fab to make a background using an off-the-wall stamp like this bicycle and the frame makes a great focal point.

Alice said...

very cool backgrounds. beautiful cards, Emily!

Sunghee said...

wow~ if i didn't know any better, i would've thought this was a store bought cards. VERY awesomely super rocking cards. Same stamp and I love how different the cards look.