Sunday, June 19, 2011

Colour Block Birthday

I'll admit I'd never even thought about colour blocking in cardmaking (yes, to colour blocking in fashion) 'til I saw this week's CAS-ual Fridays Challenge #7. I was intrigued so I used this idea to make a birthday card for a very special blog friend. It's Lindsey's birthday tomorrow so I thought I would post this a bit early since the Jane's Doodles Blog Hop is tomorrow! I'll be meeting Lindsey in a couple of weeks and she'll be the first of a few blogland friends I meet this year. I can't wait!

I used one of my new Hero Arts sets, Words & Flowers, that I picked after winning the Hero Arts April Contest. I love these flowers combined with text! I also heat embossed. *gasp* I rarely heat emboss because I don't do it every well, although I think it turned out surprisingly well here. LOL I did this for Lindsey because I admire her heat embossing! I loved that Wplus9's Color Cue {16} included two of Lindsey's favourites, red and purple, so I went with those for this card. The flowers on the red and plum panels are heat embossed and the aqua and red ones are stamped with basic black ink. Also, the red and purple panels are popped with dimensionals, where as the other two are adhered flat to the card base.

I don't think I balanced the card very well so I added the little twine knots to fill out some of the white space when I was done. I thought about rounding the corner or using some rhinestones but I decided on twine knot embellishments. What do you think?

Sources: Gina K Designs 120lb pure luxury white cardstock; SU Tempting Turquoise, Real Red, Certainly Celergy & Rich Razzleberry cardstock; Hero Arts Words & Flowers; Hero Arts Sending Smiles Message; Memories Black ink; SU Whisper White pigment ink; The Old Island Stamp Company clear embossing powder; Hobby Hot Boss; Stampin' Dimensionals; The Twinery baker's twine in Caribbean, Maraschino, Honeydew & Charcoal

34 comments:

Karen B. said...

Fantastic card Emily, so glad that your color blocking translated fabulously into your card. Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!

Lindsey said...

Ooh, I love it! And you HEAT-EMBOSSED!!! You even got purple and red in there, awesome. :)

Ujjwal said...

Love the color blocking and that HA set is in my wishlist too :D

So sweet of your to keep Lindsey's favorite things in mind while creating this amazing card :)

Rachel said...

Your card is REALLY good! I think the twine knots were a great addition to the card. What a creative way to use twine!

Michele Gross said...

LoOoOove those little twine knots!! So creative and cool!! Great job with the blocks-really fabulous card :) Glad you played with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Piali said...

Fabulous Emily!!!
Love the twine Knots...awesome!!

Virginia L. said...

This is so awesome, Emily! I love the partial embossed images of the color blocks!! BEAUTIFUL take on the challenge! Your work is always inspiring!!! So glad that you join us on the fun at CAS-ual Fridays!

Brenda said...

Oh man, I have to try those twine knots, they are the most gorgeous things I have ever seen! I love the entire card and fab colours!

Shauna K said...

this looks fabulous!! color blocking looks fabulous as does the heat embossing :D love the LO and the cute twine knots!!

Christiana said...

Wow, this is so pretty and modern! I love it! And thanks so much for stopping by my blog tonight and leaving that sweet comment! I appreciate it so much.

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

fantastic creation, you never failed to WOW me every time I am here, you are so talented Emily!

Erin (Homemade Cards by Erin) said...

Love this, the text, the colors, the heat embossed (which I don't do at all), the knotted twine, the white... winner! I gotta find another blog friend to meet in real life, it's a blast. Not heading your way anytime soon, sorry....

Kary said...

Hi Emily - this card is Gorgeous!! Love it! The colour blocks look so attractive and the twine knots are so cute. It's a lovely card, I wouldn't change anything. Have a marvellous day! {hugs}

Wendy ten Hove said...

Lovely idea to use that stamps this way and on different colors of paper! Looks great!
Hugs, Wendy

walchowDesign said...

Great design and great embossing, Emily! Still love your little twines!!

Lynn said...

Emily, I love how the sentiment offsets the color blocks...perfect design!

Vicky Hayes said...

Love your colour blocks and the embossing looks great!

Diane said...

Beautiful color blocking!!

BabyBokChoy said...

Terrific take on the color blocking and I love the 3d effects :)

Kryssi said...

Love it, Emily! So artistic! Thanks for playing along with us at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jen W. said...

AWESOME!!! You kicked two challenge butts in one go. Love your embossing and the colour blocking and those twine knots are the perfect finishing touch. :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome... Lindsey will LOVE IT!!! What a great use of those HA stamps. And your embossing is fantastic! I seriously need to try your twine knots, love them!

lisa a.

farmhouse-story said...

your rocked these challenges! and your little knots are a darling accent:)

Laurie said...

Emily this is so so pretty! I love these colors and your design! Awesome! Thanks for playing along at CAS-ual Fridays!

Jenny said...

What a great design Emily and i love the twine knots to compliment the colours too :)
Jenny x

Emily Keaton said...

Beautiful color choices, Emily, and your color blocking is divine. Way to go on the embossing, too. It looks great! What a fun design for this awesome card. :)

Jessi Fogan said...

I love it! The dimension, the twine knots ( happy sigh ), the layout...I want to try colour blocking now. Yours is the first to inspire me to give it a shot :)

G Peplow said...

Hi Emily, It's a fabulous card, love the blocks of coloured stamping, fit's very well with your little twine knots:0) Well done winning the Hero Arts April Contest, Yippee, hugs Gay xxx

Kerrianne said...

Absolutely FABULOUS!!! Thanks so much for playing along with us at WPlus9 Design.

Karolyn at Paper Therapy said...

Not sure why you've never done this before, but I hope you'll do it again - this is AWESOME! No doubt, Lindsey will love it as much as I do! Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays. Looking forward to seeing more of your beautiful work!

Beth aka BR-T said...

What do I think? I think you are a paper magician WOW!

Julie said...

Well, since you asked what I think...I think this is perfectly balanced! I love the staggered blocks with the text and I love the twine balls to add dimension to the lower right corner. You're friend is going to absolutely LOVE this!!!

Laura Davis said...

Stunning work!
Thanks for playing at CAS-ual Fridays!
Laura

Jinny Newlin said...

Oooo, srumptious, Emily! LOVE all those stampy, colorful, happy squares and knots of twine, especially the way they POP off your bright, white base! Thank you so much for playing along with our Color Cue this month!