Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Concord & 9th | Dad's 92nd Birthday


We "celebrated" my dad's birthday on Sunday but as you all know, a pandemic birthday is not really a celebration. I baked him a big cake, nevertheless, and I hope he enjoys it. He has not been into celebrating much of anything since my mom passed but this is how life is right now. Since he's been an avid gardener his whole life, most of the cards I make him are floral and, in Chinese tradition, happy occasions should be full of bright, happy colours so gold and some kind of red is a must. I broke the rules with the black sentiment strip so hopefully he wasn't too upset about that.

I absolutely love Concord & 9th's Vintage Flower stamp set and coordinating dies because of the incredible detail and the way the die cuts out the petals for added dimension. I cut out a panel of Neenah heavyweight cardstock and heat embossed the image on it with gold embossing powder. Then I watercolored it with Concord & 9th's GrapefruitSorbet, Cranberry, Buttercup, Stardust, Sprout and Parsley ink cubes, smooshed on a silicone mat. I did this very quickly since the image wasn't stamped on watercolour cardstock.


When the image was completely dry, I die cut it from the panel, which I dry embossed with a retired embossing folder. I've linked to an alternate below. Then I die cut All the Numbers Dies from both gold glitter cardstock and black cardstock, layering them with liquid glue so they show up against the image. I heat embossed the sentiment from the Fine Line Florals stamp set in white embossing powder and embellished the card with Gold Fever Confetti Sequins.


Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies

3 comments:

Denise Bryant said...

Beautiful card for your Dad! I'm sure he loved it!

Lindsey said...

I really really hope your dad was okay with the little bit of black too, since it really does make the sentiment (and the numbers) pop! Beautiful card, and I am so impressed that you were able to watercolour on Neenah like this!

Purple Princess said...

so very pretty!!