Sunday, August 9, 2009

Happy Birthday, Sweetie

I turned this week's Mojo sketch 90 degrees to make a first birthday card for my son. Of course it had to be ultra special and since I've been wanting to make another cross stitch card for, oh, about a year I felt this was the perfect opportunity. I also dreamt up this ribbon wreath a couple of weeks ago and thought it would pair up nicely. The sketch worked so well for me!

I used earthy colours that I love to dress my son in. Think Carter's animals! They are boyish yet bright and happy. The textured colours on the dinosaur called for loop stitches. As much cross stitching as I've done in the past, I'd never used the loop stitch before and it was harder than I thought it would be. The finished result reminds me of those pom-poms I used to make with yarn in elementary school! After I finished the dinosaur, I roughed in a circle on the fabric with pencil and secured the ribbon along it loop by loop. Then I added the corner accents. At the bottom, I bundled all five colours of embroidery thread that were used to create the dinosaur and tied a simple knot. Then I stamped the sweet little sentiment to finish off.

I love this card and it's significance but I'm so tempted to hand it to my son on his birthday. I know he'll chew on it and crumple it up but that would make it so much more sentimental wouldn't it? :)

Sources: The Paper Company (cottonwood) and SBD (kraft) cardstock; Charles Craft 16 count cross stitch fabric in antique white; Leisure Arts 120 Alphabets dinosaur pattern; Carnival and DMC embroidery thread; SU Tangerine Tango ribbon; Stampendous Hey There Cupcake sentiment; SU Garden Green & Vivid Butterscotch inks

5 comments:

dolcreations said...

I have never seen this before and I just love the idea of cross stitching and then placing it so beautifully onto your card! Wow! I think that is just simply adorable...Way to go on this card..you have inspired me to try it out myself..thank-you so much for the inspiration!
Christine

Donna Baker said...

this is so special! Definitely a work of heART! definitely need to scrapbook it for him

Silli said...

Emily, your card is very pretty. I love what you did with the ribbon! The image is so cute. Hugs and happy day. Silke

Cindy Haffner said...

Oh fun and so clever with the ribbon!!

Stamp and Smile said...

What a "Cutie Patootie!" And a fun way to use ribbon... special for sure! I bet your card put a BIG smile on your son's face!! TFS... :)