Thursday, August 13, 2020

Masculine Tween Birthday Card


Today's card features Technique Tuesday stamps, a Trinity Stamps stencil and distress inks for watercolouring and ink blending. I made it for my son's champagne (golden) birthday and you know there's a story behind it. ;) As with many families during the pandemic and ensuing lockdown, we started playing a lot of board games.


One of our most-played games was Scrabble and in one of those games, I went first and laid down all seven of my tiles for 50 bonus points. The word was widgeon, a small river duck. It had been several years since I had done this so we started using the term widgeoning to describe laying down all of your tiles.


Then I was out shopping one day and came across a bunch of new stuffies and, lo and behold, one of them happened to be a widgeon! Seeing as I'm a sucker for cute stuffed animals, I brought the widgeon home with me -- for myself. Damian didn't even think anything of it at first but as time went by, he found the widgeon quite endearing and now it's his favourite stuffie, on the verge of being an obsession.


Lucky for me, I owned Technique Tuesday's Duck Swan Goose stamp set (and coordinating dies -- 40% off at Ellen Hutson) which had the perfect duck image and sentiments! You can see another card I made with this set HERE. After heat embossing the image and sentiments, I watercolored and masked the widgeon and two sides of the panel.


I stencilled the entire background using Trinity StampsLayered Lakeside Mountain stencil. To finish, I splattered shimmer mist on the water and used a tiny attacher to put two 'kisses' on the card. I think this bit of hardware makes it more of a masculine card.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies:

No comments: