Thursday, August 19, 2021

VIDEO | Taylored Expressions | In the Abstract Card Kit


Hello, crafty friends! I'm excited to bring you another video for Taylored Expressions, this time featuring  the trendy new In the Abstract Card Kit. The kit has three fabulous Abstract Accents stencils for a total of eight different shapes (or 16 if you flip them over for more variety), one 4" x 4" Abstract Accents patterned stamp set, one 4" x 6" Beautiful Soul sentiment stamp set, Subtle Sprigs dies, two Bitty Blender Brushes and a pot of black rhinestones (additional supplies are linked below). There's also the option of add-on Branch Out Dies and you'll be given this option when you go to the website and add the kit to your cart.


I thought it would be fun to make three cards, one each in my favourite dimensions - A2, square and mini slim. These are the three sizes I use the most. A2 is the standard 4.25" x 5.5" card, my square version is 4.25" x 4.25" so it fits into an A2 envelope, and the Taylored Expressions mini slim is 3.5" x 6".


I started by stamping all three sentiments from the Beautiful Soul stamp set using Oreo ink. All three of my cards feature the following four ink colours for ink blending - Fruit Punch, Peaches 'n Cream, Mint Julep and Spearmint


I used both my original and pastel blender brushes, as well as the bitty blender brushes included in the kit. There are larger shapes and smaller shapes. It was easier to use bigger brushes for the larger shapes and bitty blender brushes for the smaller shapes but either would work, especially if you already have brushes for your favourite colours.


I had a lot of fun designing the patterns for each of these cards. The size and shape of the card determined the layout for my stencilled shapes. The A2 shapes are more haphazard or random, the mini slim card is linear and the square card is symmetrical.


When the stencilling was done, I die cut the Subtle Sprigs from vellum, Spearmint and Oreo cardstock and arranged them on the respective cards. The busier A2 card required vellum sprigs to keep it light and airy, the Fruit Punch shapes on the mini slim card looked great with  Spearmint sprigs, and the denser grouping of shapes on the square card looked great with a single dramatic Oreo sprig.


To finish, I attached the A2 panel to a Sea Salt card base to coordinate with the vellum sprigs. I created a split panel frame of Spearmint and Mint Julep cardstock for the square card, with those two colours reversed from the stencilled shapes. I used a mini slim top-fold card base in Oreo for the mini slim card.

Thanks so much for watching!

Supplies

1 comment:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Wonderful abstract designs and I love the colors you used for the cards. Great silhouette images too!