Saturday, February 26, 2022

Ellen Hutson | Stitched Hexagon Card


I'm capping off National Embroidery Month with a simple card featuring one of my favourite colour combos! I used several Essentials by Ellen products including the Essential Hexagons, Essential Hexagons for Stitching, Besties and Home & Hearth.

I die cut the largest of the Essential Hexagons three times from 110lb white cardstock. I scored the one to form a foldable flap and glued it to another, forming the shaped card base. Then I used the five largest of the Essential Hexagons for Stitching and die cut the holes into the third piece.


I used five colours of embroidery thread from the Essentials by Ellen Floss - The Arctic Collection. The custom pack is currently out of stock but you can also purchase the colours individually and they are, from the inside-out, Apple GreenVery Light TurquoiseTurquoiseTin and Dark Tin.

Starting with the inside (smallest) hexagon, I used a Size 3 Embroidery Needle and Apple Green floss. I used the back stitch on the entire card, working my way out towards the edge of the card.


On a separate piece of 110lb white cardstock, I stamped a sentiment from the Besties stamp set using Concord & 9th ink cubes that coordinate with the embroidery floss. I used washi tape to mask the different lines and stamp the lines using Sprout, Aqua Sky, Mushroom and Peacock ink cubes. I used one of the Essential Hexagons to cut out the sentiment and pop it on the stitched panel.

To embellish the card, I die cut the hearts from Home & Hearth from coordinating Sprout, Aqua SkyPeacock cardstock and layered them on Silver Glitter cardstock for a bit of sparkly shadow. The final step was to attach the finished panel on to the card base with foam strips.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Sources: