Sunday, January 22, 2023

Taylored Expressions | One Design, Two Occasions - from Chinese New Year to Easter


Hello, crafty friends! I have a fun post for you today to celebrate Chinese New Year (Lunar New Year). The Year of the Rabbit begins today and while these cards are non-traditional, swapping out the sentiments makes them work for other occasions like Easter and even to welcome a new baby!


The Taylored Expressions Hop to It Background Cling & Clear Combo is new-to-me and I was excited to use it for Chinese/Lunar New Year because it's the Year of the Rabbit! I usually stick to more traditional colours for CNY but this time I went for non-traditional colours that would also work for Easter.


The colours I used on these cards are Rose Water, Guava, Pineapple, Mint Julep and Confetti Cake, both in ink format and coloured cardstock. I stamped the background with Oreo ink and used the clear stamps to add cheeks and ear colours. Then I used the coordinating Hop to It Die to cut out all the bunnies.


Next, I cut all of the mini slim card bases from white linen cardstock and used the Mini Slim Square Window Cutting Plate to create panels from white linen, Guava and Confetti Cake cardstock. 


Next, I cut the coordinating Square Window Frames from gold glitter cardstock. I used the same die to cut inserts for the frames from Guava, Pineapple, Mint Julep and Confetti Cake cardstock.


I used a tape runner and liquid glue to adhere the panels, inserts and frames. Then I popped the bunnies on to the cards with foam tape and set them aside to heat emboss the sentiments.


I chose sentiments from Mini Strips - Holiday, also new-to-me, and Mini Strips - Easter. As I've mentioned before, I love New Year stamps and they're hard to come by so I needed this one, except that it reads "and a Happy New Year". 


The way I paired up these sentiment strips, I didn't need the "and a" on that particular strip since it was redundant. I masked off that part before heat embossing these - gold embossing powder on Sugar Cube cardstock and white embossing powder on Black Licorice cardstock.


After die cutting all the sentiments with the Mini Strips - Flags Die, and storing the unused strips in a Simple Storage for Simple Strips container, I popped them up with foam strips.

Let me know if you have these products and if you plan to give this idea a try. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies