Sunday, August 30, 2020

Paper Smooches | Blog Hug for Kim


Welcome to the Paper Smooches Blog Hug! As you all know, Kim Hughes announced her retirement on June 6, 2020 and finally closed her Paper Smooches shop on August 2, 2020. I know, both of these were very sad days. Kim delighted us with her whimsical illustrations and punny sentiments for nearly 10 years! Paper Smooches was one of the first photopolymer stamp companies I was drawn to when I started blogging in 2008 after my son was born. I was on Kim's design team from January 2012 to January 2016 -- 4 years! That's the longest I've ever been on a design team and I'll never forget it. I'm forever grateful to Kim for all the great memories and opportunities.


It was so hard to choose what to use for today's Blog Hug but I finally settled on the aptly-named We Adore You stamp set with coordinating dies. Of course, we adore you, Kim! I just love this fashionable pug and kitty couple! I stamped, heat embossed and watercolored them with distress inks.


I die cut a Word Bubbles Die from watercolour cardstock and ink blended distress ink around the edges. Then I die cut a second word bubble from vellum and heat embossed the sentiment on that, layering it over top of the ink blended layer. The grass was created with one of the Borders 1 Dies, arguably my most-used die ever.


I also smooshed my mini distress inks on a piece of acetate, spritzed it with water and used that to apply color to the watercolour panel die cut with the Stitched Square Die. After that dried, I used thread to attach Summer Fusion Sequins by Studio Katia. Since all of these Paper Smooches products are retired, I've listed alternates below in case you're looking to create something similar.


To date, Paper Smooches remains my most-used brand and you can use the Search Labels at the bottom of my blog's sidebar to see more of my projects. I also have a lot of Paper Smooches videos on my YouTube channel so be sure to check 'em out!


Here's the full 'hug' list:

Karin ร…kesdotter

We love you, Kim, and wish you the very best in your retirement and future creative endeavours! Thanks so much for joining us today!

Supplies:

7 comments:

Lisa K said...

I have enjoyed seeing you feature PS on your blog and You tube channel. You have been one of the few people who have made videos with PS products, which is what brought me to your channel. Thanks for sharing your talent. Off to leave a message for Kim.

luvhymns said...

Gorgeous animals.... loving the dog and lovely cat.... with loving the creator's master print.

Kim Mraz said...

Emily - one of my favorite designers ever! Thank you for such a sweet post. I adore you and your clever style. I love your creative mind and I feel so fortunate to have worked with you. Thank you for being there for me, it means a TON <3 Love you!

Barb said...

Love your work, Emily and I'll always love Paper Smooches. I have quite a collection!!

Rosy Newlun said...

Awww, Emily. This card says it all. I have the sadz just like their faces. Very sweet coloring and design! The dog and cat look like my daughter's pets and I miss them all. Gaaaa! I've been trying not to cry but this is killing me. I do love your creations and I love PS. ๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ˜ญ

Lindsey said...

This is the perfect card to thank Kim and wish her well! You have always used Paper Smooches products so well, and this adorable card is certainly no exception. Beautiful!

Larissa Heskett said...

LOVE your SWEET Card!! I've been a FAN of yours for Years and ENJOYED seeing ALL of your Paper Smooches Creations/Videos!! I appreciate ALL of the AMAZING Inspiration!! THANKS for sharing and have a FABULOUS WEEK!!