Sunday, June 20, 2021

Taylored Expressions | Mini Slim Father's Day Cards

I'm so excited to share the Father's Day card that I made for my dad and the Father's Day card that Damian made for his dad. I had several new products from Taylored Expressions that hadn't seen ink yet and Damian was also convinced that we had to use them. ;)

Based on the products we selected from my stash, we decided that the mini slim size was the way to go. I selected the Mini Slim Top-Fold Card in Sugar Cube and I used a pastel blue blender brush and Gumball ink with the Mini Slim Rectangle Masking Stencil to create a soft frame. Then I used a dark blue blender brush and Blueberry ink with the Mini Slim Candy Cane Stripes Stencil to create strips on opposite corners of the card base.

Next, I ombre stamped On the Block - Love and On the Block - Dad using Gumball ink on the top half of the word and Blueberry ink on the bottom half of the word. I used a sponge dauber to soften the transition between the two colours. I gold embossed sentiments from Mini Strips - You're the Best and Building Blocks - Love Additions and die cut them using the coordinating dies. Then I set aside all the pieces to work on the images. 

As I've mentioned many times before, it's rare for me to give my dad that doesn't feature flowers since he's been an avid gardener his entire life. I decided to use the adorable row of flowers from Bitty Borders, which I stamped in Oreo ink and coloured with Copic markers. I die cut a second set of the flowers and used Bearly Art liquid glue to stack them for a bit of dimension. I assembled my finished card by using foam tape on the block words and the centre building block, a tape runner to adhere the other two mini strips, and liquid glue to attach the flowers. I just love the different levels of dimension and the visual interest provided by the stencilling in the background!

Damian watched me do the ombre stamping on my card and was super excited to try it on his card. He selected the Mini Slim Top-Fold Card in Toffee and started by stamping On the Block - Dad using Gumball and Blueberry inks to mimic what I did on my card. Using Hoppy Days was a must for my husband because he loves beer. I love beer, too, and we both love most alcoholic drinks. LOL Damian was so excited to re-create the ombre effect on these mugs of beer and had so much fun doing it. He used Potato Chip ink on the top half of the clear filler stamp and Pineapple ink on the bottom half. He used a sponge dauber to soften the transition lines and stamped each beer twice in the mini MISTI stamping tool to perfect the ombre effect.

To make this special card pop, Damian created a frame by trimming a 3.5" x 7" piece of silver glitter cardstock and cutting out the centre using the largest of the Stitched Mini Slim Stacklets. He used Bearly Art liquid glue to attach this frame to the card base.

Before assembling the rest of the card, Damian placed the secondary sentiments in the MISTI stamping tool and stamped them using Oreo ink. Then he used foam tape to pop up On the Block - Dad and the beers. Using a jewel picker, I added a few mini star sequins to provide a bit more balance to the card and also because bling is good. ;)

Thanks so much for stopping by!

Supplies

1 comment:

Verna Angerhofer said...

Two fantastic cards for Dad. I love both designs.